“Circus Art Studio Maxima and its team.”
Anatoliy and Marina Bulakh – circus show directors, founders of Circus Art Studio Maxima in Spain.
Anatoliy was born in Kiev, studied at Kiev Municipal Academy of Variety and Circus Art (specialty acrobat and aerial gymnast), and later at Kiev National University of Theater, Cinema and Television. I.K. Karpenko-Karyy, specializing in circus directing. Master of sports in gymnastics with more than 30 years sport and circus experience.
– Anatoliy, tell us about your professional career.
– I have worked all over the world, I have performed in Germany, France, Holland, Switzerland, Norway, Great Britain, Poland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, USA, Canada and South Korea as a soloist and in a duet with my wife Marina in a genre of aerial gymnastics and acrobatics. I’ve also worked as circus acts director at the Kiev Circus Academy for seven years. Now I mainly work as a freelancer, I create acts and shows.
Our students now perform at the best world venues such as Cirque du Soleil, Friedrichstadtpalast, Lido, Ferrari World, Ringling Brothers Circus, Europa Park, Royal Caribbean Cruise, NCLcruises, Celebrity Cruises and other famous companies. We create artistic performances for professional artists, promote them to international circus festivals and help them to be hired by world’s best companies.
– Tell us about your family.
– My wife’s name is Marina, she is a master of sports in ballroom dancing, choreographer and aerial gymnast. She studied at Kiev Municipal Academy of Variety and Circus Arts and Kiev Academy of Culture and Arts. Marina is my reliable partner in work and life. Our seven-year-old daughter Alisa is engaged in rhythmic gymnastics and aerial gymnastics as well.
– How did you start your activity here on the coast?
– We have started with work-shops of aerial gymnastics and other disciplines, now it is very popular and is in a good demand. Then we had an idea to create a studio, where you can conduct classes and staging the acts or shows. We’ve noticed that there are a lot of young talented artists in Spain, willing to become professionals and get onto international level.
– What are you doing now?
– We’ve just successfully led the fourth intensive course of aerial gymnastics (straps, aerial hoop, silks, aerial net, trapeze), acrobatics, choreography and stretching. There were groups of kids and adults from 7 to 30 years old. Ourselves, and all the participants, are very satisfied with the results. In addition to acrobatics and aerial gymnastics, the intensive course includes various disciplines to develop coordination, balance, body control, improvisation and so on.
– What are your plans for the future?
– The plan is to develop the studio, organize our own space adapted for training, expand the range of disciplines and, perhaps, find new partners. We are always open for cooperation. The main idea is to create an art school on the Costa del Sol, where young people can learn different disciplines: circus genres, vocals, choreography, theater, pantomime and after travel with their own shows around the world. I think such kind of activities can give a good professional base for further creative development of young talents.
“SUR” • SEPTEMBER 17, 2017